From the architect. Choui Fong Tea Café is located in the area of Choui Fong tea plantation where is covering with a number of huge hills.
Instead of locating the tea café on the hilltop, the architect decided to lay the buildings hidden in the hill but outreach to take the view of plantation.
The idea is to keep the hill top view where the building rooftop would then be a 360-degree viewpoint of the plantation. Here at the rooftop, in addition to the natural atmosphere of the plantation, the visitors can do observe the farmers’ activity, tea leaves ‘hand pick’ harvesting during the day.
The main building is composed of three buildings; they are floated and outreached from different viewpoints. The functional areas included dining zone, café, teashop, and toilets. Scale and proportion of them are various and depended on those usage of each building.
The structure is challenged point, we can see they are floating when we look at them from the foot hill and only one pile appears to bear the entire building. The retaining wall at the back is set into a distance of the building to create an extra space for the green courtyard to provide shade and shadow in this area.
- Architects: IDIN Architects
- Location: Rural Rd Chiang Rai, Tambon Mae Chan, Amphoe Mae Chan, Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57110, Thailand
- Project Year: 2015
- Architect In Charge: Jeravej Hongsakul, Rubporn Sukatup, Eakaluk Sirijariyawat, Supachai Phiromrach
- Interior Architects: Jureerat Korvanichakul, Sarin Rangsikanbhum
- Structural Engineer: Pakanut Siriprasopsothorn